Signature Plastic Surgery is the premier plastic surgery center serving Las Vegas, Nevada. We have helped thousands of patients discover their hidden beauty through body sculpting and body contouring procedures such as breast augmentation.
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation or Boob job is a decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly and should be made for the right reasons. If you’ve never been satisfied with your breasts, if you’ve felt they are disproportionate with the rest of your body, or if you’ve lost volume after pregnancy and breastfeeding, augmentation can make you feel good about your figure. Augmentation can change your entire body image and boost your confidence.
Breast augmentation with Dr. Shah involves many decisions, beyond just the decision to move forward with the procedure. Decisions such as implant type, implant size, projection, even the incision location all need to be made. The choices may seem daunting, but Dr. Shah will walk you through each of them so that you’re satisfied with your choices.
Am I good candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Video: Breast Augmentation with Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah discusses the benefits of undergoing a breast augmentation procedure at his surgical practice in Las Vegas.
Many women seek an enhanced appearance through breast augmentation. They may be unhappy with the size, shape, or overall appearance and they are seeking solutions that will allow them to feel a sense of satisfaction. Although plastic surgery can offer immediate solutions, it is important to have a healthy self-image and realistic expectations for your procedure. Dr. Shah can meet with you to discuss your goals for your surgery as well as discussing how breast augmentation in Las Vegas and Henderson can enhance your breast size and correct the common problem of volume reduction which occurs after pregnancy.
Types of Breast Implants
- Silicone gel Implants
- Silicone implants are named for the medical-grade silicone that fills the implant shell (which is also made of silicone). Compared with earlier generations of silicone implants, today’s silicone is more “cohesive.” This is the degree to which the silicone stays together and within the shell if there is a leak in the implant. Cohesiveness is moving more toward the consistency of Jell-o, rather than purely liquid. Taken to the nth degree, the newest silicone implants are called highly cohesive, and have been given the name “gummy bear” implants due to their consistency.
- The general consensus is that silicone feels more like natural breast tissue than saline. The disadvantage is that if the implant leaks, silicone enters the breast pocket created for the implant. Usually the patient doesn’t know her implant has ruptured, but it shows up on regular mammograms, which are required with silicone implants.
- Saline Implants
- Saline implants use the same silicone shell, but it is filled with sterile salt water. Unlike silicone implants, which are pre-filled at the factory, saline implants are filled once in place in the breast pocket. Because of this, saline implants require smaller incisions to place. It also allows Dr. Shah to adjust the implant size once actually in place.
- If a saline implant ruptures, the body simply absorbs the salt water. But, if a silicone implant ruptures, it rapidly deflates completely, leaving the patient with one implanted breast and one breast that is the former size. Also, the ruptured shell will still need to be removed and replaced.
Silicone vs. Saline Implants
A Saline Breast Implant is an implant filled with sterile saline (salt water). Depending on the size amount of saline will be filled in the implant which determines how firm it would be and its shape too. If Implant leaks, a saline breast implant will collapse and saline would be absorbed by the body.
Silicone Breast Implants are filled with the gel. This gives more of the natural feel. Should the implant leak, the silicone may get collected in breast tissue or escape. In that case you will need to be evaluated by sonogram or MRI. A plastic surgeon would have to determine if it is leaking.
Breast Implant size and shape
Of course you will choose the size of your implants. This is measured in cubic centimeters (cc’s). Your available shapes are round or teardrop. Teardrop shapes are thought to better reflect natural breast shape and they are less likely to rotate once in place. You will also decide on the projection of your implants. This is generally how much of the implant shows itself higher on the chest.
Types of incisions
When it comes to your incisions, you will decide two things: where the incisions will be and if the implants will be placed atop or below the pectoral muscle. Again, this comes down to personal preference, but the thinking is that implants placed under the pectoral muscle look more natural. Plus, they are far less likely to show rippling (with saline).
- Inframammary incision: this will allow an incision along the lower part of the breast.
- Transaxillary incision: this incision is through the axilla.
- Periareolar incision: this is the incision around the areola of the breast.
Of the three incision locations, there will be scarring except with the transaxillary method, where the implants are placed behind the pectoral muscle through vertical incisions in the armpits.
Breast Implant placement
After making incision Dr. Shah can place the select implant either subglandular under the breast tissue for someone with good size breast tissue or submuscular where the implant would be placed under the muscle. If you have no or minimal breast tissue this would be ideal. After placing the implant, the skin will be sutured and that will be less visible with time. Next, Dr. Shah will help you in determining the best location for your incisions.
How long do Breast Implants last?
The lifespan of your breast implants is quite variable. Most women expect to have to replace their implants every 10 years or so, although they can last longer. Implant durability is increasing, however. Still, you should not expect that you will have only one set of implants during your life.
Breast Augmentation Before and After
Breast Augmentation recovery details
Recovery from breast augmentation surgery is not difficult. There will be some pain and discomfort for two or three days, but it is totally manageable. You’ll be able to return to work in four or five days. Impact exercise will have to wait about one month, but you can get back to non-impact activities in just a week or so. Upper body exercise can be resumed in six weeks.
Can I combine a breast lift with Breast Augmentation?
Because breast lifts return the breasts to a higher position on the chest, and since volume has usually been lost due to breastfeeding, many women opt to include augmentation along with their breast lift. Otherwise, some women feel as if they lose half a cup size with a breast lift alone.
What to expect during your consultation
During consultation depending on your breast tissue and desire for the size, Dr. Shah can help you decide options that are best for you.
We understand that every patient’s goals for plastic surgery is different and that is why we offer a wide range of different services and in depth consultations so that all of your goals will be met. With his experience, skill, and careful surgical artistry, Dr.Shah will help the look you have been wanting for. He offers his patient the opportunity to have complete peace of mind and satisfaction in their new appearance after their breast augmentation has been completed.
Schedule a Consultation
At Signature Plastic Surgery, you have access to the best cosmetic surgical treatments available in Las Vegas. Whether you are looking for a minimal breast size increase or a fuller bust line, you can have the ideal size and shape for increased self-confidence and personal satisfaction. With the expertise of board certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Shah, you can have the enhancements you always wanted for a more fulfilling body image.
You can find out more information about breast augmentation by visiting Plasticsurgery.org. Call Signature Plastic Surgery at (702) 684-5502 to schedule your consultation today.