What the 2014 Plastic Surgery Statistics Reveal
- Posted on: Apr 29 2015
As an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons since 2006, Dr. Himansu Shah of Signature Institute of Aesthetic Sculpting was pleased when ASPS released their plastic surgery procedural statistics from 2014. The statistics — which are based on information from ASPS’s member surgeons — show that plastic surgery is as popular as ever. More than 15.6 million surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures were performed last year, according to the report. This reflects an overall increase of 3 percent since 2013.
Most Popular Surgical Procedures of 2014
According to ASPS, the top five cosmetic surgical procedures of 2014 were:
- Breast augmentation – 286,000 women had their breasts enlarged with saline or silicone implants.
- Nose reshaping – 217,000 individuals had rhinoplasty to improve the size or shape of the nose.
- Liposuction – 211,000 men and women had surgical body fat reduction with liposuction.
- Eyelid surgery – 207,000 adults had eyelid lift on the upper and/or lower eyelids.
- Facelift – 128,000 adults had facelift surgery to treat premature signs of aging.
Most Popular Non-Surgical Procedures of 2014
- Botox – 6 million Botox treatments were administered last year. Treatments were up 6 percent from 2013.
- Soft tissue fillers – 2.3 million filler treatments were performed last year to add youthful volume and contours to the face.
- Chemical peel – 1.25 million chemical peels were performed to improve common skin imperfections.
- Laser hair removal – more than 1.1 million laser hair removal sessions occurred last year to eliminate unwanted body and face hair.
- Microdermabrasion – 882,000 microdermabrasion procedures were performed to rejuvenate dull skin.
Surprising New Trends in 2014
Buttock augmentation and lift procedures saw an enormous increase in popularity last year, perhaps due to pop culture’s recent fixation on voluptuous backsides. More than 1,860 people had buttock implants placed (a 98 percent increase between 2013 and 2014). Buttock lift procedures were up 44 percent for a total of 3,505 procedures, and buttock augmentation with fat grafting procedures were up 15 percent for a total of 11,505 procedures performed.
More men sought plastic surgery in 2014 than ever before. Male breast reduction was especially popular, with 26,175 procedures performed. Pectoral implant procedures increased 208 percent from 2013 to 2014.
More people are also enjoying the physical and psychological benefits of reconstructive surgery; 5.8 million reconstruction procedures were performed in 2014.
Schedule a Private Consultation with Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah is fully committed to helping every one of his patients achieve their desired appearance. He takes the time necessary to listen to his patients’ concerns and customize a plan of treatment based on those concerns. He would be happy to sit down with you and discuss your unique needs and treatment goals.
To schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Shah, please contact Signature Institute of Aesthetic Sculpting by calling (702) 684-5502 today.
Posted in: Plastic Surgery