A high percentage of people have struggled with acne at some point in their life. While acne is usually short-lived and most often occurs in adolescence, it can be a lifelong issue for some people. Patients who struggle with frequent breakouts can end up with permanent scars even after their acne has healed.
There are many different types of acne scars, often characterized by dark coloring or uneven texture that makes them challenging to conceal. Due to the limitations of topical treatments, patients often wonder if another option exists to treat their acne scars.
Some acne scars cause deep pits or craters. Since tightening and stretching your skin can minimize scarring, you may wonder if a facelift can remove your acne scars. While a facelift could help reduce the appearance of acne scars, it largely depends on the severity of the scar, its location on the face, and other factors. A facelift cannot correct deeper scars that have adhered to underlying tissues. However, for acne scars that are present along the outer perimeters of the face or along the hairlines, a facelift can sometimes treat a scar by excising the skin where it appears.
In this blog, we’ll dive into what a facelift is, how acne scars form, and treatments offered by Las Vegas board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Himansu Shah that can successfully help treat acne scars.
What Is Facelift Surgery?
A facelift, also called a rhytidectomy, is a procedure that rejuvenates the mid-to-lower portion of the face and neck. At Signature Plastic Surgery & Dermatology, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Shah performs various facelift techniques that can reduce the signs of aging by removing excess fat, tightening the underlying facial muscles, and reshaping the skin back into a youthful contour.
A facelift is a highly effective treatment that can address a multitude of concerns, including:
- Fine lines
- Deep facial folds
- Sagging skin
Dr. Shah offers five types of facelifts at Signature Plastic Surgery & Dermatology:
- Traditional facelift
- Limited-incision facelift
- Mini facelift
- Face and neck lift with liposuction
How Do Acne Scars Form?
When acne develops on your skin, your body’s natural repair process kicks in just like it would for any injury. Acne forms when your pores become clogged with too much oil, dead skin cells, bacteria, or debris. In some cases, breakouts close to the skin’s surface usually heal quickly and leave minimal scarring. However, acne that is more than skin-deep can take much longer to mend because it runs deeper and destroys more skin tissue, resulting in a scar.
After a breakout, your body will try to heal itself by sending an abundance of collagen to replace the destroyed skin tissue. The acne lesion becomes a raised scar when the body creates too much collagen. In other cases, a lack of collagen results in skin depressions, also known as atrophic or “pitted” scars.
If you are prone to develop dark marks after a breakout, those are technically not scars at all but rather a change in skin pigmentation. When you squeeze or scratch at a pimple, your skin must find a way to close it back together and cover the depression. Your body is incredibly skilled at healing itself; however, it doesn’t always recover seamlessly after a particularly deep infection or trauma. The skin covering the wound will often have a different tone or texture. That’s why dermatologists and aestheticians encourage patients not to pop or pick their pimples. Instead, cover them with a pimple patch or topical cream, letting them fade naturally.
How Can a Facelift Improve the Appearance of Acne Scars?
In many cases, non-invasive treatments may be more suitable for addressing superficial acne scars. However, deeper acne scars may require surgical removal for the best results. For patients with prominent scars and skin laxity in their cheeks and jawline, a facelift could be the perfect cosmetic solution for tightening excess skin and smoothing out fine lines, wrinkles, and even deep, depressed acne scars.
What Other Treatments Can Treat Acne Scars?
While a facelift is the gold standard of anti-aging surgeries, other appropriate and targeted solutions are available to remove acne scars. Some of the most effective acne treatments we offer at Signature Plastic Surgery & Dermatology include the following.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels are a non-invasive treatment that uses a chemical exfoliant to gently remove the top layer of skin where hyperpigmentation from acne scars resides. The results of a chemical peel can help with skin texture, hyperpigmentation, acne, acne scars, and fine lines, and it’s safe for all skin types and tones. During a chemical treatment, your skin specialist will apply a carefully curated mixture of substances like glycolic or salicylic acid, leaving them on for a short period before neutralizing them. As a result, the skin underneath will look smoother, brighter, and even-toned, making it an excellent choice for acne scars.
- Laser skin resurfacing: This non-invasive skin treatment uses carefully engineered laser beams of energy into the deeper skin layers to stimulate collagen production and soften the appearance of acne scars. Signature’s UltraPlus CO2 laser is another option. It targets pigmentation, breaking apart the discoloration for your body to process while causing less damage to the surrounding skin for easier recovery and faster results.
- MicroPen: Treatments with MicroPen involve a device that contains 12 fine needles. Your aesthetician will use a layer of topical gel on the target area and select the necessary setting for you based on your unique needs. Then, they will gently press the needles into your skin, moving in smooth, thorough patterns to cover the entire treatment area. The tiny wounds the pen creates will trigger your body’s collagen production, smoothing your skin texture, including acne scars.
Why Partner With a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon for Acne Scar Treatment?
With numerous options available for acne scar treatment, it’s easy to become overwhelmed when trying to decide which is best for you. Unfortunately, at-home treatments or unaccredited practitioners can have unsatisfying results and can even be dangerous in some cases.
The most efficient way to determine which acne scar treatment method will produce your desired results is to consult with a qualified and certified surgeon. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Shah has specialized training, years of education, and hundreds of satisfied patients.
He can carefully assess your skin’s condition, educate you on your available options, and create a comfortable environment where you can feel free to ask questions, address your concerns, and feel confident in your treatment plan.
Repair Your Skin With Acne Scar Treatments Offered at Las Vegas’ Signature Plastic Surgery & Dermatology
Put acne and acne scars officially behind you with a customized facelift or non-invasive skin rejuvenating treatment. At Signature Plastic Surgery & Dermatology, you can rest assured that your dream results are in the most qualified hands. You’ll finally see the results all those the expensive topical treatments and creams promised but couldn’t deliver. To learn more about our acne scar treatments, contact our office by calling (702) 684-5502 or requesting a consultation through our website. We look forward to assisting you on your journey toward clearer, healthier skin.