Lip lines are a common problem that many people experience as they age. Like other signs of aging, men don’t seem to be nearly as affected by lip lines as women. When a woman develops vertical lines that spread outward from the border of her lips, she may have a difficult time keeping lipstick in place. Lip lines can make the face look older and can decrease one’s sense of self-confidence. This is why we need to talk about what contributes to this change in the skin and what can be done about it.
What Causes Lip Lines
It might seem obvious that lip lines are a result of aging. Yes, with age, we lose volume in the skin because there is less hyaluronic acid to hold water molecules in place. We also experience the degradation of collagen and elastin, the chemicals that keep skin firm, supple, and flexible. This is only one of a few factors. Lip lines can also stem from:
- Sun damage. We may know to apply sunscreen when we go outdoors, but how many people apply a lip balm with SPF every day? Sun damage breaks down collagen and can be detrimental especially to the thin skin around the eyes and mouth.
- We cannot be expected to avoid moving the mouth. However, this is an unavoidable factor in signs of aging like lip lines.
- The body is exposed to pollutants all the time. This results in the production of free radicals, unstable atoms that seek to take energy from otherwise healthy atoms and cells. When there are numerous free radicals in the body, oxidative stress, a mechanism associated with premature aging, occurs.
Can You Do Anything About Lip Lines?
Knowing that lip lines are primarily related to aging, you may think there is nothing you can do to avoid them. Not so. Your habits can affect how soon lip lines begin to appear around your mouth. To postpone them:
- Don’t smoke.
- Drink from a glass, not a straw.
- Wear SPF lip balm every day.
- Hydrate the lips daily with a hyaluronic acid balm or serum. This can be done before bed.
- Exfoliate the lips once a week to slough off dead cells and stimulate collagen production. Be very gentle as you rub a mild abrasive, like sugar, on the lips.
Treating Lip Lines
Perhaps you’ve already begun to see vertical lines creeping away from the borders of your lips. Contact us! We can devise an appropriate plan to combat or correct lip lines. Common options include:
- Botox injections, which can prevent and correct lip lines.
- Dermal fillers, which restore volume to the lips.
- Microneedling facials that stimulate collagen production.
- Laser skin resurfacing, which stimulates collagen production.