For many years running, liposuction has remained one of the leading plastic surgery procedures to be performed. It becomes especially popular around this time of year, when we are shedding our layers of winter padding in literal and metaphorical terms. As you seek to lighten up in preparation for a beautiful summer, you may want to know more about the liposuction procedure and why it is so popular.
It could be because liposuction can be performed as an outpatient procedure that adults of all ages find it appealing. It could be because surgeons often perform this body-shaping procedure using a local anesthetic, minimizing risks and downtime. What we have found in our years of practice is that every person has their own personal reasons for wanting to have liposuction. Our job is not to analyze their reasons but to provide the information each person needs to make an informed and confident decision. Here, we offer a few fast facts to get you started.
- Liposuction is a leading procedure year after year, with more than 250,000 surgeries occurring annually in the United States.
- Patients who are at an ideal weight but want to reduce pockets of fat are the best candidates for liposuction. The procedure does not result in weight loss.
- Some patients combine liposuction with other procedures, such as abdominoplasty or a thigh lift. In these cases, general anesthesia is used.
- Liposuction can be performed on large and small areas. Common concerns treated include abdominal fat, saddlebags, bra fat, arm fat, and double-chin fat.
- Several liposuction techniques are available today. Each technique has its benefits and can achieve great results. The primary factor in success is the surgeon’s skill in their chosen technique.
- Liposuction has few risks. These include contour irregularities, inflammation, and bruising. Most side effects are mild and temporary.
- The fat-reducing procedure does not tighten skin. Patients with good elasticity achieve optimal results. When the skin is loose, liposuction may be combined with a lift procedure.
Body contouring procedures come in many forms today. Liposuction continues to lead the way, achieving quick results that can last many years. With a healthy diet and regular exercise, liposuction patients can maintain their new shape without much stress or hassle.