What happens after plastic surgery is as important as any other aspect of the makeover journey. For patients whose procedures are done to improve body contours, wearing the prescribed compression garment is an especially important part of recovery. This garment is made of an elastic fabric like lycra and is sized according to each patient’s measurements of the surgical area. To achieve the intended benefits of compression, the garment is usually worn for six to eight weeks after surgery. Here, we discuss when compression garments are typically advised and why.
When is Compression Necessary?
Surgical procedures that may warrant a compression garment during recovery include:
- Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)
- Breast augmentation
- Breast lift
- Breast reduction
- Circumferential body lift
- Thigh lift
- Gynecomastia surgery
Why Should You Wear Compression Garment?
The compression garment prescribed after surgery aids in recovery in a few ways, including:
- Pain reduction. A fitted compression garment holds the surgical site securely. The gentle pressure on tissues as they heal, as well as on incisions, plays a significant role in the management of pain during the initial phase of recovery by helping to minimize inflammation and fluid buildup.
- Optimal body contouring. Many plastic surgeons agree that the use of a proper compression garment is elemental to achieving the best body contours after surgery. The applied pressure helps the skin and superficial tissue contract into their new shape.
- Swelling. It is no secret that swelling is one of the most common post-surgical side effects to contend with. Compression applies consistent pressure to the tissues as they heal, which accelerates the absorption of the fluid that could otherwise contribute to swelling.
- Improved circulation. Pressure on the surgical site during recovery helps to improve blood flow through tissue, decreasing the risk of blood clot formation and also facilitating the oxygenation that is critical to tissue recovery.
Wearing compression can help you obtain the best possible results from your breast or body contouring procedure. When you are ready to begin your journey, we’re here to develop a treatment program around your needs and desired outcome. To schedule a consultation at our Las Vegas or Henderson, NV office, contact us at 702.684.5502.