What is Scar Revision?
A scar is the body’s natural way of healing and replacing lost or damaged skin. Scar revision reduces the prominence of scars that result from injury or previous surgery. Although many scars fade over time and become barely noticeable, disruptions to the healing process can cause them to become red, raised, indented or otherwise deformed. The prominence of a scar depends on the type and severity of the injury that caused it, and the patient’s age, overall health and ability to heal. For people who are unhappy with or embarrassed by their scars, there are a number of procedures available to make scars less apparent.
Scar Revision Treatments
By definition, scars are permanent, but surgery can narrow, fade and otherwise reduce the appearance of severe or unattractive scarring. We offer many surgical methods of scar revision, only some of which may be appropriate for a particular type of scar or its location. The different treatments used for scar revision include:
- Subcision: Used to treat scars that are indented, raising them back to the elevation of surrounding skin
- Excision: Used for severe skin tightening scars, restoring the appearance of the treated area of skin using a skin flap or graft.
- Punch Elevation: Used to treat acne scars, elevating the base of the scar, making it appear less recessed or pronounced.
- Surface Treatments: Includes dermabrasion or chemical peels to gently remove the top layers of the skin and rejuvenating the underlying layers.
- Laser Treatments: Gently remove damaged layers of skin to reveal unblemished skin underneath.
- Fillers: Dermal fillers are successful in “filling in” depressed scars and creating a smoother skin surface.
Scar Revision Results & Recovery
Most scar-revision treatments are minimally invasive, and do not require any downtime, although there may be mild swelling, discoloration and discomfort in the treated area for 1 to 2 weeks. Results are often immediate and noticeable, although it may take several months for maximum results to be achieved.
Scar Revision Before & After
*Individual results may vary
Schedule A Consultation
If you are considering scar revision and would like to learn more information, call 702.684.5502 to schedule a consultation at our Henderson, NV office.