When your liposuction consultation is on the books, your new body is just within reach. This is an exciting time, and an excellent one to consider what you can start doing now to make the most of this experience. Here, we offer a few suggestions.
How to Physically Prepare for Liposuction
There are a few obvious things that patients must do before undergoing liposuction. For instance, if you smoke, you need to quit as soon as possible. Otherwise, you face significantly higher surgical risks. Additional ways to physically prepare for liposuction include:
- Dial in your diet with healing foods. If you’re getting liposuction, chances are you’re already eating a low calorie diet. More than calories, though, what the body needs before surgery are highly nutritious foods. Loads of fresh fruits and vegetables provide the vitamins and antioxidants the skin needs to heal. Lean proteins and unsaturated fats help promote strong energy stores, and the right carbs can improve mood during recovery.
- Explore the best types of exercise. In order to enjoy the longest lasting results from liposuction, it is necessary to exercise often once healing has occurred. After a brief period of downtime for recovery, it is beneficial to know which types of physical exercise feel most enjoyable to you. Walking is a great form of exercise, as is yoga, pilates, weight training, spinning, and dancing. The key is consistency, and consistency is much easier when you love what you’re doing.
- Get cozy. Before surgery, set aside your most comfortable, loose-fitting clothing. These will be needed for your few days of recovery. Also, while you won’t be isolated and unable to move around after surgery, you’ll be in more than out for a short time. Your time spent at home can be much more tolerable if you’ve got cozy blankets and pillows, entertainment, and some good company.
How to Mentally Prepare for Liposuction
In addition to physical preparations, it’s helpful to get into the right headspace before your liposuction procedure. Patients are often so excited about the results that are in their future that they forget how recovery can inevitably cause some roller-coaster emotions. Ways to mentally prepare for this procedure include:
- Put the light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel where you can see it. People have liposuction for cosmetic reasons. They want to look a certain way and be able to wear certain items of clothing. If your goal is that red bikini or little black dress, hang it where you can see it daily until your post-surgical soreness and tenderness have resolved.
- Get support. There is little chance that you’ll need physical support after liposuction. You should be able to get around the house pretty well, though a little slower than normal. Still, surgical recovery can be fatiguing. Before your procedure, enlist the help of loved ones to cook, cart children to school or other activities, walk the dog, feed the pets, and so on.
Our offices in Henderson and Las Vegas provide professional care in a friendly atmosphere. Contact us at 702-805-2058 to schedule your liposuction consultation.